The Government Social Media Conference runs an annual “Call for Speakers” to seek social media thought leaders and industry professionals to share their knowledge and expertise with social media coordinators in government.
Call for Speakers Timeline
Call for Speakers Open: Thursday, Oct. 24, 2019 Call for Speakers Closes: Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019 at midnight PST Speakers Announced: Monday, Nov. 25, 2019View Announcement
The Call for Speakers has closed.
Speakers receive complimentary admission to the event, recognition on our website and in our event materials, and the prestige of being in the 20% of speaker entries selected to present at the nation’s largest social media conference for government!
Learn more about speaking at GSMCON and read our tips and topic ideas below.
The kind of session NOT to submit
Many conferences focus heavily on case studies – GSMCON is NOT that type of conference! Attendees generally don’t prefer to hear an agency or company talk about something they did for the entire session, including just a few minutes of how what they learned applies to other agencies.
Tips for a great entry
The focus of your entry should be entirely about your audience – GSMCON attendees – and what they can do differently or better. Your audience-centered talk shouldn’t be entirely focused on your agency or company.
Don’t be vague in your session title and description. We aren’t looking for generic “Social Media Strategy” sessions. We want you to be very specific – what specific platform or technique will you be covering in depth?
High level overviews aren’t as sought after as sessions that go into a deep dive on very specific topics.
We love to see hands-on training sessions that teach attendees HOW to do something. Show versus explain–invite participants to get out their smartphones and devices and follow along. Demonstrations are welcome!
Your topic doesn’t need to be on this list, but there are several topics that we’d like to see covered. Keep in mind that the GSMCON audience is primarily government (city, county, state, law enforcement, etc.).
- Social Media Metrics/Analytics/Reporting
- Writing and Launching a Social Media Policy
- Social Media Plans or Campaigns
- Social Media Outreach
- Multilingual Outreach
- Behavior Change
- Reaching Diverse, Underrepresented or Underserved Populations
- Digital Divide
- Platforms (deep dives into Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat etc. Not high level overviews.)
- Managing/Training Social Media Teams
- Managing Citizen Comments & Dealing with Negativity
- Social Media Advertising (in-depth, not a high level overview)
- Social Media in Public Safety
- Community Policing & Neighborhood Outreach (We don’t get into social media for forensics at GSMCON, but we do focus on the public outreach side of law enforcement)
- Social Media in Fire Service or Law Enforcement
- Social Media in Emergency Management
- Assistive Technologies and ADA Compliance
- Video Platforms & Tips
- Monitoring/Listening/Intelligence Gathering
- Elected Officials’ Profiles & Issues
Speaker terms & conditions
All GSMCON2020 speakers must agree and adhere to our terms & conditions.
- I will consent to the audio and/or video recording of my session to be included in a Virtual Pass.
- I will present from the provided conference laptop.
- I will watch/view a 30-min pre-conference speaker’s webinar.
- I will use the provided PowerPoint template and will provide any slides to GSM (may be in PDF format and any notes may be omitted) by March 30, 2020, with the understanding that it will be provided to attendees for download.
- If selected as a speaker, I will provide my biography and headshot for use on the conference website to GSMCON staff by Friday, November 15, 2019, and I will provide any other information requested by event organizers in a timely manner.
- The complimentary speaker admission is not transferable. If I cannot host my session or need to cancel for any reason, I will notify GSMCON staff as soon as possible and I will not receive complimentary admission, nor a virtual pass.
- In the event I cannot host my session, I may recommend a replacement speaker, but understand that GSMCON staff may or may not accept the replacement and may choose to cancel the session entirely.
Speakers will be provided with a special registration link for the complimentary pass. If you already registered, you will receive a refund. Applicants who are not selected will be notified and will still have time to register before the close of Early-Bird Registration on November 30, 2019.